[X4U] cause of kernel panics?

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue Mar 15 15:42:12 PST 2005

Richard Gilmore said:

>I had a kernal panic on my laptop with a 40 GB drive that had about 500 MB
>of space left on it. I'm assuming low HD space can also cause them?

See:

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
Item #5 and Note #2

I need to update Note #2 with some new defragmentation software for OS X
that has become available. The  most promising of these is:

iDefrag
http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iDefrag.php

There was also an article on MacFixIt just last week about how letting
your drive fill up beyond 80% full is likely to lead to directory damage.
 Some on this list may recall that I was heartily flamed for stating that
on this list last year.

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20050310003145313
Thursday, March 10 2005

>Make sure you have enough free space on your startup volume Mac OS X
>requires at least 10 percent of the volume it is contained on as free
>space in order to maintain the integrity of the file system. However, even
>with 10 percent free space, Mac OS X's use swap files - as well as extra
>data generated by third-party application caches, etc. - can quickly put
>you back into a position of possible directory/file damage and increased
>incidence of spinning pinwheels.
>
>Realistically, 20 percent of your Mac OS X startup volume should be kept
>clear in order to achieve best performance and avoid disk problems.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html