[X4U] Defragmentation, was Cause of kernel panics

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Wed Mar 16 14:39:45 PST 2005

Jon Warms said:

>I recommend a review of Apple's comments on Disk Optimization:
>
>http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668
>
>which I read to say that defrag utilities are generally not needed
>because
>Panther performs automatic defragmentation:

Yes, if you followed the citation I gave to my Web site in my previous
post:

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
Item #5 and Note #2

You would have seen that I cited that Tech Info article.  However, you
also would have seen that, in addition to the MacFixIt article (posted to
the Web just this month) that I quoted in my previous post in this
thread, other folks with a huge amount of first hand knowledge and
experience have found that defragmentation is necessary as your drive
approaches 80% full. (At least it is if you want to avoid directory
damage and flaky behavior from your Mac.)  e.g.  MicroMat, Intech, etc.

Or, you could just get yourself another drive before your drive reaches
the 80% full mark.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html