[X4U] Re: Defragmentation, was Cause of kernel panics

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Wed Mar 16 14:56:31 PST 2005

Jon Warms said:

>> http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
>> Item #5 and Note #2
>
>Use of a defragmentation  utility is a time-consuming,

I don't think that it needs to be.  If you occasionally defragment your
drive well before it reaches the 80% mark, subsequent defragmentation
runs will go a lot quicker.

>and
>hazardous procedure.

I think that this depends on the utility used.  It is, of course, always
a good idea to have a complete backup before you use any hard drive
manipulation utility, even something like Disk Warrior.

>Furthermore, its use masks the real
>underlying problem: careful hard drive management.

True.  Unfortunately not everyone is into really careful hard drive
management, or they forgo it because of economic concerns.  (Even though
good hard drive management might be more economical if followed
religiously.)

>Randy's excellent Item 5 covers defragmentation extensively
>and informatively.

Thank you!

>He cites Apples guidance, but recommends periodic, though
>infrequent, defragmentation. Essentially, Randy cites a
>MicroMat technician and his own experience, saying that
>extreme fragmentation may prevent a drive from operating
>properly even at 80 percent of capacity.

Exactly.  MacFixIt and Intech have published things says the same thing.

>FIne, but the better fix is to either make more room or get
>a larger drive.

Making room by itself may not fix the fragmentation problem.

Getting a larger drive is a good idea, but not an economical one.  And
though a new drive may only run a couple hundred dollars (and,
personally, I don't think that a couple hundred dollars is a small sum of
money) a lot of folks don't have that to spare, especially after sinking
thousands into an entire computer system.

>I've lost data using optimization utilities. Defragmenters
>perform radical surgery on your file system in the goal of making
>it better. Any interruption or anomaly in the process and your
>data is shredded. I won't take the chance any more.

I can't argue with your personal experience.  I'm always shy myself about
doing something if I've been burned before.

On the other hand, in the past couple of decades I've never lost data to
a defragmentation program, and I can't recall hearing from anyone other
than yourself who has.

I do recall one hot summer when I ran SpeedDisk and there were three
separate blackouts during the run.  Each time I restarted SpeedDisk and
it too up right where it left off and I didn't lose a bit of data.  Very
impressive.  (On the other hand, I haven't been without a UPS since that
episode.)

I think that good defragmentation software is careful to make sure that
you won't lose data in the event of an interruption.  (But that is a good
question to ask about the new utility iDefrag.  I'll have to ask them
when I get a chance.)

>Also, defragmentation is slow - very slow. If the
>the drive has only 20 percent or less of free space, there isn't
>much room for the defragmenter to work. It takes a long time.

Once again, this is a good reason to start regularly defragging well
before the 80% point.  (I can even see how defragging for the first time
with a hard drive over 80% full, could have been the reason that you has
your disastrous experience with defragmentation software.)

I think that the possibility of directory damage with a drive that is
over 80% full and undefragged is a greater danger than using a
defragementation utility.
But I agree that using any hard drive repair utility involves some risk.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html