[X4U] Re: airport wireless - just double checking

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Mon Mar 21 00:14:56 PST 2005

On Mar 20, 2005, at 09:34:25 -0800,
revDAVE <coolcat at hostalive.com> wrote:

> On 2/22/05 11:12 AM, "revDAVE" <coolcat at hostalive.com> wrote:
>
>>  I'm sure the answer must be yes to this - however before I tell a
>> friend -
>> I like to double check that once set up correctly - any computer with
>> the
>> proper wireless connection and settings ( on both the  computer and
>> the
>> airport) can send and receive from the airport wireless base. -  this
>> would
>> include both Mac and PC -  correct?
>

> Is this correct?

This has been my experience.

But, as a general rule, there are two caveats:

1) Airport now supports 802.11b and 802.11g. Airport has never
supported 802.11a, which I believe is in limited use in the PC
world.

2) Earlier Airport base stations and earlier Airport-equipped Macs
used only 802.11b; PC cohorts of the same vintage also were only
"b". Today's wireless base stations/routers must be set to
connect to both "b" and "g" to connect with older equipment.
(But the base stations/routers usually are set for "b" and "g" in
their default settings.)

Jon