[X4U] Tiger

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Wed Mar 23 00:37:09 PST 2005

On 3/22/05 11:55 PM, "Joe Sporleder" <joe at wacondatrader.com> wrote:

> How long traditionally has it taken Apple for a new OS release to
> become part of a new Macintosh bundle? I'm thinking about adding a Mac
> mini at home (already have an older iBook). I'm willing to wait until
> it starts shipping with Tiger. That way, I can test all of my
> production applications for our small newspaper publishing company and
> do so in an "isolated" environment. Then that way, I'll know what
> programs I'll need to buy upgrades before taking my network's G4 & G5
> workstations to Tiger.

It's generally available immediately, if you buy from the Apple Store. If
not, you can upgrade for about $20. But if you wait, make sure that the Mac
you buy _does_ contain Tiger; back in the OS 9 days, I got p'd off when I
bought a new Mac about a month after a system upgrade and still had to pay
the $20 to get the new OS. If the retailer has Macs with the older OS,
you're stuck.

Kirk

             Co-author of: Mastering Mac OS X - Panther Edition

  . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .