[X4U] iTunes Limits ???

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Tue Mar 29 05:25:46 PST 2005

On 3/29/05 3:09 PM, "Robert Ameeti" <robert at ameeti.net> wrote:

>> 21K individual titles or total CDs (that is, there may be
>> duplicates)? At a rate of 5 per hour, 8 hours per day, 7 days a
>> week, it would take you a year and a half to rip that many disks.
>
> I think not. While I did start ripping my CDs a year or so ago, the
> length of time is all about the speed of the processor. I found great
> pleasure with the purchase of newer computers and seeing my ripping
> time decrease dramatically. I currently have around 24,000 songs
> ripped and it takes up about 90 GB. As for the length of time, I
> don't know but do note that I've ripped my collection twice cuz I
> wanted to do it at a different rate as times have changed.

Actually, it's not just the processor speed - it's also the speed of your CD
drive. I know someone who's maxed out on a double G5; the ripping can't go
any faster because the CD drive is limited to I think 48x.

Kirk

                      Author of: iPod & iTunes Garage
                     http://www.mcelhearn.com/ipod.html
      Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France