[X4U] 10.4 without DVD drive

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 1 12:03:12 PST 2005

On 11/1/05 10:14 AM, Gail Grainger <ggrainger at deweybrowse.org> wrote:

> Thanks for all the responses. I talked to Apple this morning, and they no
> longer offer it on CD. The person I spoke to said that he thought you
> could buy it on DVD, then mail it back and exchange it for CD's. When he
> checked, he found that was no longer an option. With so many Mac's in
> schools, I don't think it was a good decision.

I wonder if the person you talked to knew what he was talking about. If you
visit http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/ and check out the box labeled
Media Exchange Program you can download the order form that lets you
exchange the DVD for the CDs at a cost of $9.95. December 22, 2005 is the
cutoff date.

I agree with you, however, that it was a poor decision not to make the CDs
available for purchase via the online Apple Store. Charging an extra $10 and
having to wait an extra week puts an unnecessary burden on those without DVD
drives. The cutoff date of December 22 also seems ridiculous since the next
version of OS X will not be out for another year.

Eddie Hargreaves