[X4U] 10.4 without DVD drive

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Tue Nov 1 12:12:39 PST 2005

On 11/1/05 2:03 PM, Eddie Hargreaves wrote:

> The cutoff date of December 22 also seems ridiculous since the next
> version of OS X will not be out for another year.

That is the three-year anniversary (approximately) of Apple beginning to
ship the system discs that come with computers on DVD. If memory serves, the
15" PowerBook introduced right about then was the first Mac to come with DVD
rather than CD install/restore discs.

(It sticks in my mind because I had one on order; Apple delayed my order
'til after Macworld/January, giving me the option of changing my order to a
brand new 17" PowerBook, which I chose to do, rather than "sticking" me with
a 15" machine.)

I'm guessing that Apple figures 3 years is a fair amount of time... yes,
there are older machines still running, but many machines that were new
since then have DVD built-in... maybe?

Just speculating...