[X4U] start app in background

Bill White billwhite at mac.com
Wed Nov 2 07:14:00 PST 2005

On 11/2/05 9:43 AM, Jim Freeman <jpfreeman at mac.com> wrote:

> I don't know if behavior has changed or it depends on the app, but sometimes
> the launching app will keep jumping to the front and I'll keep having to click
> on the dock to get back to what I'm doing. In this case I launched iPhoto and
> was able to work in Mail until iPhoto was ready. I guess I should read
> LaunchBar documentation and see what they say. And there is Command-H,
> although I don't know if it would always work with a launching ap. Not a huge
> deal, just an annoyance and I thought that maybe there was a solution out
> there.

Jim, this is easy to do with a simple AppleScript. Paste the following into
a new Script Editor window and save it as an application (or even just a
compiled script as LaunchBar will run the script for you):

-- this will launch iPhoto in the background
tell application "iPhoto" to launch

--this will hide it after it launches
tell application "System Events"

    repeat until exists process "iPhoto"
    end repeat

    set visible of process "iPhoto" to false

end tell

It might be overkill for the number of times you¹d use it, but it will do
the trick.

HTH,

-- Bill