[X4U] Help.. login fails after showing spotlight icon

Kansas Territory kansast at mac.com
Wed Nov 2 08:54:53 PST 2005

On Nov 2, 2005, at 10:41 AM, Paul wrote:

> On 2 Nov 2005, at 12:53, Kansas Territory wrote:
>

>> ANY SUGGESTIONS on how I find out what is keeping this account
>> from logging in ?      I've been thinking maybe if I could kill
>> spotlight or something ?  If that is what is actually causing the
>> problem.  I guess this, only because it's the only thing that
>> shows up.. and does nothing but give me a beach ball.
>

> If you have another machine around, you could ssh into the frozen
> mac and do a top -u to see what's taking up most of the CPU. That
> should give you some clues.

I've tried this.. doesn't show much of anything going on at all..
there are a a few processes owned by the admin account that is
attempting to log in. But nothing appears to be heavily in use at all.

> Another idea, though far more silly and perhaps useless is to look
> at your problem account's files, and see what the most recently
> modified files are. That might also give a clue.

well I've been trying to remove any Preferences and the like in some
of the applications that were last running in this admin account.   I
keep thinking it has something to do with the enabling all the fonts
that I temporarily enabled using Font Book while logged into this
account.    It was a lot of fonts. lots of disk thrashing etc.  But
everything appeared to be working o.k.  And before I restarted that
last time, I removed the Font Library that I had enabled.  in my
attempt to hopefully AVOID any problems in the FUTURE with having all
those fonts enabled.

is there some LOG FILE I could be looking at while attempting to
start up this account..  that I could watch via an SSH session from
another computer ?

Kansas