[X4U] Aperture CPU (not video card) requirements

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sat Nov 5 06:04:53 PST 2005

Apple's website says G5 PowerMac or G4 PowerBook (limited to certain GPUs)
or iMac G5 (again, limited to certain GPUs).

I've read posts from many who say they'll just TRY it after testing their
machine and finding that it supports CoreImage (using a little interrogator
program from Apple's "Motion" website.

Some people have said they'll buy the program, install it, then upgrade
their video card if necessary. I've read somewhere that the installer will
siimply check the hardware configuration and refuse to install unless it
likes the specs it "reads" from the computer. Anyone have any idea where
that leaves someone with a mirrored doors G4 and an updated video card that
meets the CPU processing power requirements AND GPU CoreImage requirements?
Will the installer load the program?

Asked another way: will the installer merely make certain I have enough
muscle; i.e., fast enough CPU(s), compatible video card, or will it say
"nope, that's not one of the SPECIFIC PowerMac G5, PowerBook G4, or iMac G5
computers I'll communicate with" and refuse to load the program?

Jim Robertson