[X4U] Undeletable Account in Mail.app

David R. Boag, DDS spikedds at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 21 06:20:18 PST 2005

Our woes continue regarding the annoying keychain password window in Mail.app after upgrading to 10.4.3. This is on my parents' G4 350 MHz Sawtooth. Now has 640MB RAM. Did a new Tiger install on a brand new 80GB HD and after installation, the install "wizard" asked if we wanted to copy over user settings. We did. Ever since, my brother has been repeatedly getting the annoying "please re-enter your password/remember this password in my keychain" alert window. Now, it has begun for my parent's also--different user name.

Additionally, they tried calling their ISP (they live out of state, otherwise I'd go there and fix it for them...with your help of course ;-) ). The customer service agent tried to help them walk through the problem, they recommend deleting and recreating the email account in Mail.app. However, interestingly, when they tried to delete the account from the account tab in the preferences window, it would not delete. No alert came up. No message saying "you can't do that" or anything. Just the "beep" sound that says you can't do that.

Now it is affecting more than one user. Is this still likely a preferences issue? If so, is it Mail.app's, and aren't those prefs individual to each user? If so, why is it now happening to BOTH of them?

I'd appreciate any and all info, because I have to then translate it and walk my folks through procedures over the phone.

TIA

David R. Boag, DDS
spikedds at bellsouth.net