[X4U] New toy!

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Fri Nov 25 09:17:56 PST 2005

On Nov 25, 2005, at 11:13 AM, Charles Howse wrote:

> My nephew gave me an IMB 512MB USB 2.0 Memory Key!
> Cool, it's the first memory stick I've had.
>
> I just love my PowerMac...I inserted the stick, noticed that the
> lights
> inside started blinking, and Bam! there it was on the desktop,
> mounted and
> ready!
>
> It came with several Windoze apps to encrypt the contents, which,
> of course
> I can't use.
>
> I'd like to be able to somehow secure the contents, and be able to
> use the
> stick on any computer (Mac, Windows, Linux, etc.).
>
> Any suggestions for strategy and applications?

This won't be available to other systems, but on OS X you can create
an ecrypted disk image and then put your files in that and then copy
that over to your memory stick. If you make the disk image smaller
than the total size of the memory stick, the rest of the space would
then be usable to other systems, but not the disk image itself.

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net