[X4U] Tiger's Calculator.app no longer does percentages?

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sun Nov 27 21:45:26 PST 2005

On 11/27/05, net kat <netkat at comcast.net> wrote:

> yeah..we get that concept. 0.15 of anything you apply it to, and you
> thereby prove our case: we are applying the % function TO 28.05, not
> to 1.0!
>
> what appears to be broken in the calculator is the understanding of
> what to DO with that fact in an algebraic expression.

That interpretation assumes that 28.05 + 15% implies 28.05 * (1 + 0.15).
Why? 15% is always 0.15 if you don't indicate "of something else"; whereas,
15% of x is always 0.15 * x. I didn't interpret the original problem, just
took it at its algebraic face-value. And, that's how I'd want my calculator
to work: explicit, not implicit. BTW, what would you expect as an answer
for: 15% + 28.05? AFAIK, a+b = b+a. If your calculator didn't pass that
test, would you say it wasn't broken?