[X4U] Tiger's Calculator.app no longer does percentages?

net kat netkat at comcast.net
Mon Nov 28 06:13:54 PST 2005

oh, brother...yes, '4%' does have meaning, but I'm pretty sure you
know the sense in which I meant "no meaning."

Let's say you're going for a job and you're told that your pay will
be 4%. First thing you'd ask, if you had any sense, would be "4% OF
what??" Person hiring you says, "No..just 4%. But rest assured,
because 4% is always 4/100, or 0.04. So...when do you start?"

So, there's your meaning. You know you're being hired for 4%. But
until you know what it's 4% OF, the meaning isn't specific enough for
you to  sign on.

It could be 4% of the company's gross, 4% of the CEO's income, 4% of
what your secretary makes, or 4% of the intern's salary.

Yes, it has a definition, but until or unless you know what it's
operating on, you don't have specific value, which is the object of
our doing a computation.

nk