[X4U] Tiger's Calculator.app no longer does percentages?

Aron Spencer aron at r8ix.com
Mon Nov 28 08:24:00 PST 2005

Let's say you're going for a job and you're told that your pay will
be 4. First thing you'd ask, if you had any sense, would be "4 What"?
etc...

There is a distinction here, as mentioned before, between the purely
mathematical application, where 15% does, in fact, equal .15, and a
practical usage for the calculator, where expectations and practice
are all over the place...

On Nov 28, 2005, at 9:13 AM, net kat wrote:

> oh, brother...yes, '4%' does have meaning, but I'm pretty sure you
> know the sense in which I meant "no meaning."
>
> Let's say you're going for a job and you're told that your pay will
> be 4%. First thing you'd ask, if you had any sense, would be "4% OF
> what??" Person hiring you says, "No..just 4%. But rest assured,
> because 4% is always 4/100, or 0.04. So...when do you start?"
>
> So, there's your meaning. You know you're being hired for 4%. But
> until you know what it's 4% OF, the meaning isn't specific enough
> for you to  sign on.
>
> It could be 4% of the company's gross, 4% of the CEO's income, 4%
> of what your secretary makes, or 4% of the intern's salary.
>
> Yes, it has a definition, but until or unless you know what it's
> operating on, you don't have specific value, which is the object of
> our doing a computation.
>
> nk
>

> On Nov 27, 2005, at 10:27 PM, Steve Self wrote:
>
>> However, 4% does have meaning, it is a small amount of something.
>> It clearly does not have integer meaning, but meaning nonetheless.

Aron S. Spencer
Elizabeth, NJ 07202