[X4U] Duplicate files

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Mon Nov 28 15:35:35 PST 2005

I'm going to give some of these tools a try, thanks to everyone who
recommended them.

The more I work with iPhoto the less I like it. But I don't see any
alternative. Sometimes it would tell me I was importing duplicates and ask
if I wanted to import them again and I would say no but most of the time it
just imported everything.

Awhile back I lost several thousand photos I had backed up on a Linux box
(long story) anyway I've been going through several DVD backups I have and
have been finding some photos on these discs that I thought were lost so
I've been trying to bring them all together in one place and just importing
whole folders. But I've been finding many of the same photos on these DVDs
and now I've got hundreds perhaps thousands of duplicate photos with
absolutely identical file names. I thought iPhoto would screen the dupes out
but it didn't.

I think I'd rather use a tool to find the duplicates rather than opening
numerous folders and clicking and dragging. I think it's just too many
files/folders to deal with. I just want all the dupes in the iPhoto folder
moved out to another folder that I will backup just in case then delete.

Thanx

Richard