[X4U] Is the topic of how calculators do percentages worth 87 posts to this list?

Aaron macuser at aarons.fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 28 19:14:05 PST 2005

Re: [X4U] Tiger's Calculator.app no longer does percentages?

I joined this list recently after moving up to OS X (10.3.9). I joined to get (and perhaps offer) info relevant to the use of that OS.

Approxiamately 56 hours ago, Eddie Hargreaves <meged at earthlink.net> posted a useful bit of info about a significant difference between how the versions of calculator.app under Panther and Tiger handle percentages. Since then, there have been 87 (yes, eighty-seven!) responses to that post, most of which -- judging, I admit, by a sample -- argue about the "right" or "usual" way for calculators to handle percentages, but contribute nothing to an understanding of how to get OS X (Panther, Tiger or whatever) to do what one wants it to do! (I don't mean to get nasty, but I DO mean to be critical!)

Very early on in the thread, I posted the following:

>Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 16:24:52 -0800
>To: <x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>From: Aaron <macuser at aarons.fastmail.fm>
>
>Is there any reason why Panther's Calculator.app can't be used in Tiger?
>
>Since I'm new to OS X (though not to either Mac OS or UNIX) there may be some reason why it can't that hasn't occured to me. Since I don't have Tiger yet, I can't try it for myself.

I'm curious to know (without reading another 60 or so messages) to know if anyone has answered my question, which, IM(not-so)HO, does relate to the purpose of this list.

 - Aaron

P.S. Can anyone tell me how to set the preferences on my listserver.themacintoshguy.com account(s) so that I receive ALL messages from the listserver, including those I post and those Cc'd to me by the poster?
The obvious settings haven't worked.