[X4U] Is the topic of how calculators do percentages worth 87 posts to this list?

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 28 20:50:17 PST 2005

Aaron,

Thanks for the tip regarding using Panther's calculator. After you posted
that, I copied over the calculator from my Panther machine to my Tiger
machine and it works fine (and, more importantly, the way I prefer). I
originally did the same with Key Caps from Jaguar to Panther. Now if only I
could copy Panther's Find File functionality to Tiger ...

It's obvious that this issue is about as contentious as canned cranberry
sauce vs. fresh cranberry sauce. Neither is necessarily "correct," but those
who prefer one will disparage the other. Personally, I fail to see the point
in having a % button if all it does is move the decimal point two places.
That doesn't provide any use at all, in my opinion, and saves no keystrokes.
In fact, just today I had an advertising contact call me up and said I could
take 15% off a certain rate. Normally, I would type the number, subtract
15%, which is the way I've been doing it for years. With the new Tiger
calculator, I would have to change my thought to creating a proper
mathematical written equation of the number * .85
If folks want to use a calculator like that, they certainly can. I don't see
why having the percent key work as it previously did would hinder them in
any way, especially since they don't even need to enter scientific mode.

I guess you're telling the truth about recently joining this list, if you
think this thread is off-topic or overblown. There have been far less
relevant discussions that lasted longer ('>'s or ':'s in e-mail replies,
anyone?) If you want moderated, strictly, OS X-only discussion, I recommend
MacRogues <http://www.osxlist.com/>

Eddie Hargreaves