[X4U] RAM lessons even the stubborn can learn

Matt Gregory vdub.grego at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 15:28:57 PST 2005

I'll probably jinx myself, but I've been using the cheaper memory in
my PB for a few months now with no noticed ill-effects.  I purchased
some Centon PC3200 DDR400 memory from CompUSA.  But first I took a
close look at it vs. the "Apple Certified" PC2700 DDR333 version.
Same brand.  The chips themselves looked exactly the same, even the
part numbers were almost identical with a slight difference which I
assumed was probably due to the difference in speeds.  Layout exactly
the same.  Board exactly the same.  Manufacturing looked exactly the
same.  So I figured I'd take a shot since the non-Mac version was
going to be $160 cheaper (after M.I.R. of course).  So far it seems
to have paid off.

matt.