[X4U] Applecare

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon Oct 3 12:31:45 PDT 2005

> The free 1yr warranty on my 15" 1.67MHz G4 Powerbook is due to end in
> Feb 2006. I am considering taking out Applecare, especially since a
> colleague's 17" Powerbook has stopped working and he has been quoted
> hundreds of pounds to repair it . . .
>
> In the UK, even with education discount, Applecare costs £231 ($392).
> Seems a lot to pay, but then sod's law dictates that if I don't buy
> it, I will be paying out a lot in repair costs, and if I do my PB
> will be fault free as long as I own it.
>
> Is Applecare transferable to a new owner, should I sell the PB?
>
> --
> Phillip Deackes

I've no idea if it is transferrable if you sell the Powerbook.

Having said that, get it.  That 231 Pounds could save you from having an
expensive paperweight.  I sure wish I'd had it on a PowerBook 520c I bought
10 years ago, as soon as the 1 year was up the display went out :^(

For things such as an iPod Shuffle, it's a rip off as far as I can tell, but
for a computer, it's money well spent.  Think of it as piece of mind.  By
the time it runs out, if the system is still running, it's likely to last
for another year or so, and by then if it dies, you'll want a new system
anyway.

Having said that, my almost 2 year old G5 2x2 is the first system that I
purchased it on, and I have yet to use it.

		Zane