[X4U] Google/Sun To Challenge Microsoft in Applications!

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed Oct 5 00:22:22 PDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 09:15:53PM CDT, Nick Scalise <nickscalise at cox.net> wrote:
:
: On Oct 4, 2005, at 9:07 PM, Randy B.Singer wrote:
:
: >For the many folks who have complained that they would like an
: >alternative word processor to Microsoft Word, this news item is very
: >interesting:
: >
: >Google, Sun To Bring StarOffice To Web
: >http://www.computerworld.com/newsletter/0,4902,105148,00.html?nlid=AM
: >
: >This is going to give Microsoft conniptions.  How can they compete
: >against an open-standards, free, software suite available cross-
: >platform on the Web?
:
: Except that is not what they announced.
:
: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051004-5386.html

And from Randy's follow-up of the CNET article:

	<http://beta.news.com.com/Sun+and+Google+shake+hands/2100-1014_3-5888701.html?tag=nefd.hed>

	The companies envision further software distribution
	deals, too, a partnership [Sun President Jonathan]
	Schwartz believes will become more significant as
	network bandwidth increases and its costs decrease.
	"We're talking about putting our assets together so we
	can leverage each other's distribution," Schwartz said.

	Part of that work will include Google helping to spread
	OpenOffice.org, [Google CEO Eric] Schmidt said. "We'll
	work to make the distribution of it more broad," he said.

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/