[X4U] Alternatives to MS Word

Oliver Marshall om at skillsearch.co.uk
Wed Oct 5 01:58:12 PDT 2005

You could try NeoOffice

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy B.Singer [mailto:randy at macattorney.com]
Sent: 05 October 2005 06:33
To: A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user.
Subject: Re: [X4U] Alternatives to MS Word

Zane H. Healy said:

>>For the many folks who have complained that they would like an
>>alternative word processor to Microsoft Word, this news item is very
>>interesting:
>
>Maybe they should take a look at AbiWord.

I don't think that its that there are no alternatives to Word.  There
are.  Some, like AbiWord, NeoOffice/J and OpenOffice, are even free.
And
they are quite good, though, as you said, they have significant quirks.

But none of them are backed by huge companies that can afford to put a
lot of money, and effort, into supporting and improving the product,
like
Microsoft does with Office.  And none of them has the real potential to
become a standard among business users like Office.  Sun and Google
might
be able to do that.

For now it is just pie in the sky.  I only brought it to folks'
attention
because it has the potential to be very entertaining to see Sun and
Google go at it with Microsoft.

Just last week people were speculating that MS was interested in
acquiring AOL as a way to destroy Google.  It's nice to see that Google
isn't going to sit around waiting to be destroyed.

Randy B. Singer

Documentation: (n.) a novel sold with software, designed to entertain
the
operator during episodes of bugs or glitches.
- Tonkin's First Computer Dictionary