[X4U] Applecare and hard drives

John Kiss john.kiss at comcast.net
Wed Oct 5 07:06:24 PDT 2005

On Oct 5, 2005, at 2:59 AM, Jon Warms wrote:

> Anyone have any experience with AC replacing a drive with a larger
> one?

I had a drive die on me about 3 months before the Apple Care warranty
ran out. I called Apple and they were willing to replace my drive
with an equivalent 120GB. Mine died with the infernal clicking of
death and I was unable to wipe it before it completely died. I had
lots of sensitive data on it that I didn't want someone else seeing
and certainly didn't want to ship it back to Apple to get a
replacement. In my case, AC didn't help out here at all. I ended up
paying for a Maxtor 250GB for $170 at CompUSA.

I would have been better off not getting the AC in the first place,
unless of course, my motherboard went dead. But it's a crap shoot.