[X4U] Text to speech on the iPod?

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Thu Oct 6 08:08:06 PDT 2005

>I think there's an app called iSpeakit (which I got as part of
>Roxio's Boombox along with the wonderful MusicMagic Mixer) which will
>do what the original poster wants. It's by ZappTek (zapptek.com).
>Meg

>My boss uses books2burn to turn html text of journal articles into
>aiff files, then iTunes to make them 48kbps mp3 files.  It's not
>exactly text to speech, but it may do what you want.
>
>Info here:
>
>http://books2burn.sourceforge.net/
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Peter

Meg and Peter,

Yes, I am aware to application to convert text files to audio files
on the Mac.  Trouble is, these become very large audio files for
lengthy text documents.

What I was hoping  for was an application residing ON THE IPOD which
would speak any text file also residing on the iPod. Text files are
substantially smaller than their audio counterpart. Better to have
the text to speech app residing on the iPod, i.e. one large app on
the iPod to handle all small text files also residing there.

I suspect this is something that will have to come from Apple as an
upgrade to the iPod software--if ever. No reason for the iPod to be
restricted to playing music alone.

Jiim