[X4U] Simple Open code for Applescript

Bill White billwhite at mac.com
Fri Oct 7 01:27:34 PDT 2005

On 10/7/05 12:41 AM, Brett Conlon/HU/Music-AU/SONY
<brett.conlon at SonyDADC.com> wrote:

> Any AppleScript boffins out there?

Yep!  :-)

> I'm writing a basic AppleScript droplet for a Photoshop CS action. The
> operator will drop a file on the droplet, Photoshop will open the file and run
> the action.... and maybe I'll have it do a few things before or after the
> action too.
>
> Everything is set up OK but I need the basic code for the "Open" part.
> Sometimes the file may be a PSD or it may be a PDF

The way to do this is to have the Finder open the file using Photoshop's
file ID, which isn't exactly intuitive!

Here's the open handler you'd use for the droplet:

on open theseFiles

    repeat with aFile in theseFiles

        tell application "Finder" to open aFile using application file id
"8BIM" -- this should be on one line

        tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS"

            -- do your Photoshop stuff in here

        end tell

    end repeat

end open

You could also tack on a run handler so that if the user double-clicks the
droplet it will ask for a file to process, and to simplify things spin the
Photoshop part into its own handler....something like this:

on run

    set aFile to choose file with prompt "Choose a file to process"

    doPhotoshopStuff(aFile)

end run

on open theseFiles

    repeat with aFile in theseFiles

        doPhotoshopStuff(aFile)

    end repeat

end open

on doPhotoshopStuff(thisFile)

    tell application "Finder" to open thisFile using application file id
"8BIM"  -- this should be on one line

    tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS"

        -- do your Photoshop stuff in here

    end tell