[X4U] OS X Speech capabilities question

A. Scott McCulloch mylists at ascottmcculloch.com
Fri Oct 7 11:56:44 PDT 2005

There are a couple (at least) of different "types" of speech
recognition... what is built-in to OS X is capable of "recognizing"
commands (this is similar technology to voice based automated
telephone systems), but is not capable of "recognizing" the spoken
word to turn it into text (which requires a very different
technology). For transcription, you need something like ViaVoice or
iListen.

You can find iListen here: http://www.macspeech.com -- I don't know
the current status of ViaVoice, it was done by IBM, but I think they
may have abandoned it.

However, as I already mentioned, these programs have to learn the
individual's patterns of speech, intonation, etc. to get accurate
results. If you've got a good quality audio recording, you *might* be
able to get a reasonable first take at a transcription, but expect
*lots* of errors since there will be voices on there that the program
has not been trained with.

For my time and money, sending my dissertation research interviews to
a transcriptionist was the only way to go.

Scott