[X4U] OS X Speech capabilities question

Matt Gregory vdub.grego at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 12:48:33 PDT 2005

On 10/7/05, A. Scott McCulloch <mylists at ascottmcculloch.com> wrote:

> There are a couple (at least) of different "types" of speech
> recognition... what is built-in to OS X is capable of "recognizing"
> commands (this is similar technology to voice based automated
> telephone systems), but is not capable of "recognizing" the spoken
> word to turn it into text (which requires a very different
> technology). For transcription, you need something like ViaVoice or
> iListen.

Yeah, I can understand now how it might just be a little different to
recognize speech as one of a certain few commands vs. one of possibly
millions from a dictionary.

You can find iListen here: http://www.macspeech.com -- I don't know
> the current status of ViaVoice, it was done by IBM, but I think they
> may have abandoned it.

I took a look at iListen ... but you're right ... it probably won't be of
much help if it can't learn the interviewees voices.

matt.