[X4U] OS X Speech capabilities question

Peter Saint James peterstj at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 8 06:35:53 PDT 2005

On 7 Oct 2005, at 2:40 PM, Matt Gregory wrote:

> The iPod voice recorder would be nice...

     I have been given to understand that one no longer needs an
additional device to record with an iPod.  I believe that with third
and fourth generation ones you just need to plug in a mic.  For
earlier ones, you can install Linux on the iPod and it will record
through the left earbud.

     Also, transcribing from a sound file is slightly easier than
from a tape.  One used to have to back up the tape because a few
words were lost as the tape slowed to a stop.  Voice files, however,
stop instantly.  Much less need to back up.

                                                 Peter