[X4U] Where to add route add -net?

Robert Tillyard rob2 at atvetsystems.com
Mon Oct 10 01:01:59 PDT 2005

On 10 Oct 2005, at 05:11, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> At 9:43 AM -0500, 10/7/05, Brian Lalor wrote:
>
>> On Oct 7, 2005, at 8:59 AM, lj Palmer wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know what the official location is, but I've been
>>> sticking things in /etc/rc.local. Presently I'm using using it to
>>> start postfix.
>>
>> How "official" is rc.local?
>>
>> With Tiger, a launchd item is probably the best way to go; you can
>> just copy the file around to the various servers...
>
> And what pray tell does route add -net do?
> --
> Robert Ameeti

It adds a static route.

If my local network is on 10.1.1.x and the local traffic at a remote
site is on 10.2.1.x and I have a host on my local network that has a
VPN to the remote network say 10.1.1.20 I can ask my computer to use
that machine to send any traffic to the remote network so it becomes
joined to this network.

route add -net 10.2.1 gw 10.1.1.20

Regards, Rob.