[X4U] Jan iBook Apple G4 Overheating?

Colt Freeman cfreeman at liberty.edu
Sat Oct 15 22:20:57 PDT 2005

I just sold my iBook (Made in Jan 04 I believe) still has Panther on it, no
problems for quite awhile. I had to have the Logic Board and the Cd Drive
replaced 3 days after I bought it. He started having problems with the
computer shutting down on him, after I got to it and rebooted it by pulling
the AC cord and the battery.

When I rebooted it, the fan ran for 15min and a slightly warm air was coming
out but it didn't seem extremely hot. The fan was still running but didn't
seem warm at all, so I rebooted again and it ran perfectly fine for another
day and then today it shutdown on him again, rebooted to run the fan,
rebooted again and it stopped at the apple logo. Rebooted again and it
worked for 2-5min and then shutdown again.

I'm calling Apple on Monday but I was wondering if there is anything that I
could do before then or if there is a fix I can do without sending it to
apple. I've got to eat the repair cost's myself since I just sold it to him,
so that's rather annoying; especially since the reason I was able to sell it
to him was because I loaned it when his PC died.

Any helps appreciated, thanks.
-Colt