iPhoto overloaded (was Re: [X4U] Apple Aperture target Audience?)

Steve Self steveself at mac.com
Thu Oct 20 13:38:03 PDT 2005

Well, I doubt it is simple, otherwise it would already have been
done. iPhoto has been portrayed as such, but I think many of the
people describing the slowness are testing the limits of what their
processor and software with LOTS of images can deliver.

As an aside I do not know where the sense of "there should be..."
comes from. As a visionary looking forward to a possibility, it is
cool. As a sense of "we're entitled to..." it is, perhaps excessively
expectational. When I start to feel like I am entitled to well
designed and programmed stuff, inexpensively, just cause I need it...
I simply remind myself how much work it takes to develop a web site
for a client, while they express their amazement that it costs as
much as it does... And like me, I think that the software developers
should be paid and paid well for good products. Anyway, nuff said...

Perhaps another aside, unless one is a professional photographer, in
which case iPhoto is WAY TOO weak, having thousands and thousands of
images available on a local HD seems like a huge over kill. Keep the
really good or current stuff on the local drive, off load the rest
onto DVDs or other external HDs.

I consider Aperture to be the professional level program for image
adjustment, processing and cataloging, but it may really require a
Dual or Quad cpu to make it fly like we would want it to. It could be
just another dog on a iMac G5. But then the iMac G5 is a consumer
level machine and to expect it to deliver high-end, professional
performance is silly.

That said, I still think some cleaning up, rebuilding databases, and
clearing caches might help iPhoto some.

Steve