[X4U] OSX servers and experience

Kansas Territory kansast at mac.com
Wed Oct 26 05:07:22 PDT 2005

Just curious if there is anyone on this list..  using MacOSX servers
in a web hosting environment ?
using say Apache, Mysql, maybe Postgresql and PHP.   And also web
servers.
and if so how many users ?

for the past 10 years or so I had an ISP with about 10,000 users, all
servers running Linux based Intel systems.

for the email servers, we had a pretty intense set of servers, mail
was stored on some kind of disk raid system,  but damn if it's not
having a hard time keeping up these days what with all the spam that
comes through on a regular basis.

I was just curious if anyone was running anything close to this
amount of users running OSX servers, and how their maintenance
compared to Linux and/or Windoze based servers.

bottom line.. looking to start up a new business, not concentrating
so much on access, so I don't think we'll ever get back up to 10,000
customers with email accounts etc..   But I'm thinking of going with
OSX servers (could maybe save myself some money from not having to
hire some HIGH PAID linux guru)

And info or suggestions would be appreciated.  or a point in a right
direction where I could read more about people's experience with OSX
servers compared to other platforms.

Kansast