[X4U] permissions

Bill White billwhite at mac.com
Thu Oct 27 08:37:02 PDT 2005

On 10/26/05 7:37 PM, Philip J Robar <pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org>
wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2005, at 4:13 PM, Robert Ashton wrote:
>
>> Is there any way when I save a file in my  Public folder/Drop Box  so that
>> any file that I save into it has Read & Write permissions  for Owner, Group,
>> and Others with out having to get info and  changing them manually.

> You should be able to do this with Folder Actions and an AppleScript.  10.4's
> Automator would probably make this even easier to do.

Robert,

Once you make sure that Folder Actions are enabled, just control-click the
Drop Box folder and choose "Attach a Folder Action..." The script that
you'll want to attach is as follows, and should be saved as a compiled
script:

---

on adding folder items to thisFolder after receiving theseFiles

    repeat with thisFile in theseFiles

        set filePath to quoted form of POSIX path of theseFiles

        do shell script "chmod ugo=rw " & filePath

    end repeat

end adding folder items to

---

HTH,