[X4U] gMail POP connection problems

B. Kuestner kuestner at macnews.de
Sat Oct 29 06:48:58 PDT 2005

I have problems establishing a reliable connection with my gMail
account.

I configure everything and it works. It might also work the second
time I download e-mails. But sooner or later I get the exclamation
mark in Mail (OS X 10.4.2) saying that Mail cannot connect.

Since it works sometimes I assume that the configuration is correct.
And the fact that I'm behind a router (NAT, no firewall) and have the
firewall on my iBook enabled is also not the cause of the problems. I
also don't see technically why that should be, because outgoing
connections and replies to those are not blocked by either.

Other accounts don't show these symptoms.

I googled for similar situations but found nothing. My best guess
right now is that gMail has a maximum limit to how often e-Mails can
be retrieved. (I have Mail set to "every 5 minutes"). But I found no
hint that Google has such a limit in place.

Anybody have any ideas how to make gMail POP access reliable for me?

Thanks,

Björn