[X4U] [OT] Processor Upgrades

Adrian Stubbs stubbsz at comcast.net
Thu Sep 1 22:21:25 PDT 2005

Zane H. Healy wrote:

>> Thinking about upgrading my Sawtooth 450 G4.  It really seems worth
>> getting an upgrade but I wondered what your opinions would be.
>> Apparently mine is compatible with Mutli-processors but the price and
>> the lower clock speed of these Dual Processor cards makes me wonder
>> if a) it will be slower and b) it will be more expensive.
>

> Are you sure it's a Sawtooth?  I thought those were only available as
> 400Mhz and slower.  The Sawtooth is the one with PCI graphics, right?
> I actually seriously considered doing this with my G4/450 AGP system
> (to old for a dual upgrade) until the G5's came out.

Sawtooth is the AGP.  Yikes is what you are thinking of... Some
sawtooths are not DP compatible... you have to check the ASIC version
and mine is compatible.... I just don't really know if I need DP.

>> I was tempted in the 400$ range and see:
>>
>> PowerLogix PowerForce47 G4/2.0GHz with 512K 1:1 L2 Cache Per
>> Processor        $399
>> PowerLogix PowerForce47 Dual G4/1.2GHz with 512K 1:1 L2 Cache Per
>> Processor   $419
>

> Try to find out how one of these would compare to a Mac Mini.  It
> seems to me that a Mac Mini *might* be a good cheap upgrade.  At the
> same time there are quite a few arguments against the Mini and
> upgrading your Sawtooth.

Thought about that too... which would give me the an OSX upgrade from
Jag as well...

>> Also, should I think of spending less and getting a graphic card
>> upgrade as I'm stuck with the ATI Rage 128 Pro.
>

> I upgraded my G4/450 AGP to an ATI Radion 9000 Pro, I'd like to think
> it made a difference, but as I moved from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X 10.2 at
> the same time, who knows :^)

Yes. OSX REALLY made this box feel slow.  os9 interface is very snappy
on the rare occasion that I boot up in it.

>> I'm not a gamer but maybe cos my machine is to slow :) ... just a
>> surfer, connect to work,  listen to music, mess with iMovie/iPhoto
>> etc.... would be nice to run Virtual PC at a reasonable rate too but
>> I don't think that is possible on a 2.5 Gig G5.  My wife dabbles with
>> Adobe Apps.
>

> You might be surprised at how much a faster system helps in surfing.
> As much as I hate to admit it, there were really only two things that
> I needed the G5 upgrade for, one was Adobe InDesign 2.0, the other
> surfing.  Of course once I got the G5 2x2 I started playing with Video
> Editing.
>
>         Zane

/thanks

-Adrian