[X4U] [OT] Processor Upgrades

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Sep 1 23:28:58 PDT 2005

At 10:21 PM -0700 9/1/05, Adrian Stubbs wrote:
>Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
>Sawtooth is the AGP.  Yikes is what you are thinking of... Some
>sawtooths are not DP compatible... you have to check the ASIC
>version and mine is compatible.... I just don't really know if I
>need DP.

I've got an original G4/450 AGP (it is so old it was one of the few
that came with Mac OS 8.6/G4), I can't do DP on it.  This was part of
why I upgraded to a new system.

You're running Mac OS X, you'll benefit at least some as long as
you're doing more than one thing at once.  Plus I believe some of the
basic iLife apps can use multiple CPU's, I know Photoshop can.  I'm a
strong believer in 2+ CPU's in a system, but that's because of how I
use my systems (quite often I have one or more things running in the
background).

I can't wait to see what Apple can do with some of the new Intel
CPU's once they make the changeover!

>>Try to find out how one of these would compare to a Mac Mini.  It
>>seems to me that a Mac Mini *might* be a good cheap upgrade.  At
>>the same time there are quite a few arguments against the Mini and
>>upgrading your Sawtooth.
>
>Thought about that too... which would give me the an OSX upgrade
>from Jag as well...

Interesting point.  That adds $130 value to it.  You still need to
think about RAM and whatever you might have internal on the Sawtooth.
OTOH, you the smaller size of the Mini might have value.

>>I upgraded my G4/450 AGP to an ATI Radion 9000 Pro, I'd like to
>>think it made a difference, but as I moved from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS
>>X 10.2 at the same time, who knows :^)
>>
>Yes. OSX REALLY made this box feel slow.  os9 interface is very
>snappy on the rare occasion that I boot up in it.

Is it the OS, or the apps that feel slow?  On my system with 10.2 it
didn't feel fast, but it didn't feel slower either.  What amazed me
was how fast Safari was.

		Zane