Looking at platforms objectively [X4U]

Kuestner, Bjoern Bjoern.Kuestner at drkw.com
Fri Sep 2 13:20:09 PDT 2005

>> So I dread the day when Intel hardware becomes
>> widely available for the Mac

> Why do people CONTINUE to write things like this?

I thought that was clear from the rest of my post: Because contrary to the
subject line I have a fair deal of affection for this Apple company and the
Mac. So I want it to look nice. Actually, I really want it to BE nice and
good. But some aspects aren't really that grand about OS X. And these might
stick out very clearly once OS X is compared to running Windows XYZ or Linux
on the same intel hardware.

Oh well, but there's a positive side to that as well: Steve Jobs seems to
feel quite affectionate about Apple's products. So maybe he won't rest until
these embarrassments (RAM requirements, threading performance) are fixed.
(c:

We'll see. Whatever the outcome will be: You're right, Apple makes
"systems", and most people don't by them for performance alone but for a
good overall value in many different aspects (stability, design,
reliability, usability, security, ...), so failing in one subcategory of the
wide, wide performance category won't hurt all that much. It will be an
embarrassment though in the tech magazine articles, that's what I expect.

Bjorn

Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff:

http://www.drkw.com/disc/email/ or contact the sender. 3166