[X4U] Lack of sleep - What about widgets I wanna know

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Fri Sep 2 20:39:19 PDT 2005

On 09/01/05, Eddie Hargreaves <meged at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 9/1/05 8:47 PM, Zane H. Healy <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:
>
>> As I'm typing this on 10.3.9 please don't hold me to these numbers,
>> but I think it's something like 30MB per widget.
>
> Wow, if I could keep the widgets down to 30MB, I might stop quitting
> Dashboard more often (specifically, quitting the Dock using Activity
> Monitor). After a few hours, most of the widgets on my Tiger machine jump to
> 80-100MB of Real Memory. Multiply that by 4-6 widgets, and that's half my
> RAM.

Quick data point. I have six widgets set to launch when I select Dashboard,
all use 20-30 MB real memory. I left them on for three hours and their
memory usage didn't change. If your widget's were consuming more than that,
then there's something amiss in your system. What? I have no idea.

G4, 450MP Gigabit, 1.5 GB RAM, 10.4.2.