[X4U] Roaming wireless options

Jim Soriano jsoriano at mac.com
Mon Sep 5 10:00:21 PDT 2005

On my 1.2Ghz iBook 14" I use a D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth adapter
to connect to my Sony Ericsson T610, then use GPRS to connect to the
internet via T-Mobile here in California.  Coverage and network
availability seems to be about 85% of their voice footprint; i.e.
there are occasional locations where I've tried to use it and didn't
successfully get a GPRS data connection.

Connection speed is rather slow, about 56Kbps to maybe 90Kbps real
throughput.  It is adequate for most of my email needs when I'm not
near a Wi-Fi hotspot.  (Wi-Fi over public hotspots, pay or free,
provides MUCH better performance.)

There are several Apple Knowledge Base articles that provide more
insight.  The main one is here:

Follow the links in the article for more details.

T-Mobile's GPRS data network in the US is far from being leading
edge.  Cingular has probably the best performance with their GPRS/
EDGE implementation.

Regards,

Jim