[X4U] Re: Malware (Was: Consumer Reports)

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu Sep 8 17:38:45 PDT 2005

Robert Ameeti said:

>>Lastly, the article says "Whether you opt for a Windows PC or a Mac,
>>you should use antivirus, firewall, and antispyware programs." The
>>truth is that every antivirus software program on the Mac has had
>>multiple versions that have caused problems for Macintosh users
>>while being installed on an operating system for which there are not
>>viruses. Doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Can you tell me what problem Intego's Virus Barrier has ever caused?
I've never seen one negative thing attributed to it on Macintouch or
MacFixIt, or any other respected Mac site.

I've been running Virus Barrier for about 7 years now.  I've never had a
single complaint about it.  While I've heard and seen hundreds of
complaints about NAV and Virex, I've never seen one that I thought was
legitimate about Virus Barrier.

Some searching on the Web turns up folks who are bent out of shape about
Virus Barrier not launching automatically, but the fault turned out to be
the problematic haxie Fruit Menu, not really Virus Barrier's.  Other's
have been unhappy with Intego for various reasons, I've always found them
to be great.  Otherwise folks think that Virus Barrier is just about
perfect.

>>And as for Spyware? This
>>too is a non issue on a Macintosh. There are no spyware programs at
>>this time on a Mac.

There *are* spyware programs for the Mac, they just aren't common.
However, so far none are propogated via Web sites as they have been in
the Windows world.  There is a Trojan/worm for the Mac that attempts to
install spyware: Opener. Opener even defeats anti-spyware programs that
are installed while doing its dirty work.
http://www.macintouch.com/opener.html
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_129163.htm

There are several spyware programs for the Mac that can only be installed
via physical access.  While that isn't a huge threat, they are spyware
and they do exist.  (I'd give the links for where to get them, but I
really don't want to spread that sort of information.)

Don't misunderstand what I am saying.  I don't think that the malware
threat to the Macintosh is any big deal at all.  I run anti-virus
software and I haven't seen any malware show up on my Mac (other than
Windows viruses that show up as e-mail attachments) in too many years to
remember the last time.  But you stated that it doesn't exist.  That
isn't the case.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html