[X4U] Re: Malware (Was: Consumer Reports)

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Sep 8 18:00:09 PDT 2005

Randy B. Singer wrote:
> Don't misunderstand what I am saying.  I don't think that the malware
> threat to the Macintosh is any big deal at all.  I run anti-virus
> software and I haven't seen any malware show up on my Mac (other than
> Windows viruses that show up as e-mail attachments) in too many years to
> remember the last time.  But you stated that it doesn't exist.  That
> isn't the case.

Have you seen a Mac virus since the days of System 6 or early System 7?
I can't remember if there were any for System 7, but I'm fairly sure there
haven't been any (other than Microsoft Macro Viruses) since that time.  Even
with System 6 and before I seem to remember that there were less than a
dozen Viruses, though I think one of them might have been included with a
commercial software product that was released (not on purpose).

I'd personally be very interested to hear of any viruses infecting anything
other than the following OS's:

MS-DOS/Windows
Macintosh (System 6 or earlier)
Amiga OS