[X4U] Slightly Off Topic Question - Screen Resolution

eleventhvolume colin at eleventhvolume.com
Sun Sep 11 15:50:54 PDT 2005

> It may be an active design decision on Apple's part, but perhaps based
> on the fact that you can change the size of the font & window details
> on a Mac?
> The 1920 x 1200 on your Dell is likely much more usable for a wider
> variety of people than a 1440 x 900 (as fitted to the current 17"
> Powerbook) would be - if you find the text too small you can increase
> its size. You should be doing this not by reducing the resolution
> (which, as you discovered causes pixillation) by by increasing the font
> size by % in the Advanced button of the right-most tab of display
> properties or by changing the font size in Themes (you may need again
> to click an Advanced button to do this). Font-smoothing will be correct
> for the original screensize.
> Between Windows 95 & 2000 it was quite easy to increase the font size
> only of the titlebar, desktop icon label or File/Edit Menu but now in
> XP it takes a little more twiddling; it IS however quite possible to
> have both a very high resolution & quite large fonts, icons & buttons.
I resized icons and fonts as soon as I got the Dell and it helps, but on
websites, for example, the small size of the graphics impacts upon usability
as well, same with the gui in Word, etc. Didn't realise it was possible to
resize buttons, I'll check that out, thanks.

 > Although the defaults on the Mac might be more suitable for the large
> variety of people, the GUI is certainly less flexible in this respect.
> Although I love the combination of eye-candy & usability on my Mac, the
> way it's easy to navigate, this is the sort of thing that I miss about
> Windows.
Classic Mac/PC tradeoff.

Cheers, Colin.