[X4U] Tiger doesn't mount firewire volume that Panther does

Wayne Clodfelter wayne at troutnc.com
Tue Sep 13 07:34:11 PDT 2005

Recently purchased QuickSilver w/Tiger OS. Oddly, when booted in Tiger,
one of the three volumes on a firewire drive will not mount. When
booted in Panther, the volume mounts with no problem.
Disk Utility within Tiger will not mount the volume.
DiskWarrior 3.0.2 rebuilds the directory but says a Macintosh services
error keeps it from replacing the old directory. DW says boot from the
CD and rebuild again. I did that with success, but the volume still
will not mount under Tiger.
This does nothing to boost my confidence in Tiger; and I was skeptical
about it to start with. From the little I have seen of it, I see NO
improvement in performance over Panther. And it is not as intuitive or
as user-friendly as Panther is. At least, not in this brief window of
exposure I have seen.

For the heck of it, I'm going to backup the Tiger-unmountable volume,
erase it, and restore it--just to see if that corrects the Tiger
hiccup.

Meanwhile, has anyone else had this same problem with Tiger?
BTW, I have an identical FW drive of 3 identically sized volumes that
DOES mount under Tiger.

Regards,

Wayne Clodfelter
wayne at troutnc.com