[X4U] iMac will not boot

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Sep 14 14:21:57 PDT 2005

On Sep 14, 2005, at 12:33 PM, Andrew T. Lynch wrote:

> Good idea.  Will do tonight.  I did boot from the hardware
> diagnostics disk, and all tests passed, surprise, surprise.

Does the hard drive mount when you boot from a CD and seem to work
OK? Sounds like it does.

In that case, it maybe it can't properly read the operating system on
the disk (may have been corrupted). This won't always show up with
disk utilities. Have you tried re-installing the OS?

Good luck. I've got an iMac DV at home that won't boot (hit power
button, immediately powers back off). I don't get to the point of
hearing a chime even. I've got a few things to try tonight.

Seems (from various discussion boards) its been a bad week for Macs
not wanting to start.

-Mike