[X4U] DVD+R(W)/DVD-R(W) and OS X

Brian Lalor blalor at bravo5.org
Sat Sep 17 07:57:17 PDT 2005

Good morning, all.  I just bought a NEC 3540A DVD writer for a Power
Mac G4 I've got at home.  Having just lost the 80G drive on my
PowerBook, I decided I needed to start taking backups seriously...
The drive supports the full array of DVD media (including, I just
noticed, DVD+R DL).  According to the Apple knowledgebase, DVD-R is
the only media supported by the SuperDrive.  What I'm wondering is
if, since the *drive* supports all of these different medias, will I
be able to use them with OS X?  Or is the OS in some way relevant to
the media type, regardless of what the drive supports?  If the OS
doesn't care, then I'll probably just go with the cheapest media, or
possibly some of those DL discs for add'l capacity...

Thanks,

Brian Lalor / blalor at bravo5.org
     You snooze, you lose
     Well I have snost and lost