[X4U] Bad iMac video: which symptoms to qualify for Apple extended warranty

Bernard Munter bernard at susanmunter.com
Sat Sep 17 16:25:39 PDT 2005

On 18/9/2005 0150, "Germain M." <affaires at vif.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What are the symptoms of a bad iMac G5 video? Mine has probably no problems
> but I want to be sure just in case or for prevention. The only thing that
> bothers mewith my iMac video is that the LCD screen has never been vivid or
> crisp like some LCD pannels I see in  stores, which are connected mostly to
> PC's. I created one or two profiles using Apple's own colorsync utility
> (expert mode) but the result is not very satisfying to my eye...

Bonjour,

To my eye, my 20" HD LCD was somewhat washed-out and slightly green. I
created a new profile using SuperCal and following its instructions

A somewhat lengthy process, but more pleasing and vivid to my eye. I could
email you the profile if you're interested (may not work with Tiger, I
haven't tried). It's based on the Windows gamma of 2.2 (darker) and sRGB,
rather than the Mac default of 1.8O. As I'm no longer in the DTP business,
but would rather see nice pictures from the Internet, this suits me. YMMV.