[X4U] Emergency post

James S Jones jsjones at mac.com
Sun Sep 18 15:31:03 PDT 2005

I have to disagree. Here's how Prosoft describes Data Rescue:

"Data Rescue is the best data recovery utility on the market for
recovering files from a problem hard drive. Other utilities can cause
more damage to your hard drive and files by trying to 'fix' the
problem, instead of focusing on recovering your files. Do not use a
repair utility until you've safely recovered your important files over
to a safe location. Data Rescue should be your first option to recover
your important data, before you try any risky "repair" utility."

The original poster believed (incorrectly, as it turned out) that he'd
deleted a partition, not files. Data Rescue is probably the only Mac OS
utility that could recover files from such a scenario.

As it turned out, the poster had only unmounted the partition and
emptied the trash. Apple really should end the ambiguous drag and drop
function of the trash can. It's about the slowest way possible to
unmount/eject a drive and has been a source of regular confusion for a
large portion of users for nearly 22 years.