[X4U] Emergency post / Disk recovery vs file undelete

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Sun Sep 18 15:51:27 PDT 2005

On 9/18/05 5:31 PM, James S Jones wrote:

> I have to disagree. Here's how Prosoft describes Data Rescue:

Did you see that I pasted that exact blurb into my post? All of it points to
using DataRescue to recover files from a problem hard drives. Not one bit
says anything about undeleting Trashed files.

DataRecycler is the ProSoft product that will help you undelete -- but only
if you have it installed as a preventive measure beforehand.

Other OS X apps for undeleting Trashed files include Norton's Unerase,
SanDisk RescuePRO, SubRosa FileSalvage. There's another that came up
recently on another list, but I can't remember the name off hand.

> The original poster believed (incorrectly, as it turned out) that he'd
> deleted a partition, not files. Data Rescue is probably the only Mac OS
> utility that could recover files from such a scenario.

But as a user, there is no way one could have deleted a *partition* by
dragging it into the Trash. One could delete files by dragging them into the
Trash, but Data Rescue is not used for undeleting general files you've
Trashed (though it will help with your digital photos on a media card). Call
them and ask, they'll tell you so! They are very good at getting at files
that are on "broken" hard disks or broken partitions -- I'm a licensed
DataRescue owner for this very reason -- but they do not claim to undelete
Trashed files on a hard disk.

I had seen that the poster's data was safe, but I wanted to make a note for
the archives that DataRescue is *not* the product to reach for if you
believe you've accidentally deleted files using the Trash.

> As it turned out, the poster had only unmounted the partition and
> emptied the trash. Apple really should end the ambiguous drag and drop
> function of the trash can. It's about the slowest way possible to
> unmount/eject a drive and has been a source of regular confusion for a
> large portion of users for nearly 22 years.

Apple isn't really ambiguous about this! Most users fail to notice the
difference, but Apple put it there: Notice that when you have a disk, a disk
image, a CD, DVD or other removable media selected, THERE IS NO TRASH CAN.
That's right, NO TRASH CAN! It becomes an EJECT symbol. If folks are paying
attention, they'll see this. :-) People are so used to seeing a Trash can...
that they don't notice the difference.

All's well that ends well, and I'm glad the original poster didn't need file
recovery.

peace,
Linda