[X4U] Emergency post / Disk recovery vs file undelete

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sun Sep 18 23:48:15 PDT 2005

Linda said:

>> I have to disagree. Here's how Prosoft describes Data Rescue:
>
>Did you see that I pasted that exact blurb into my post? All of it points to
>using DataRescue to recover files from a problem hard drives. Not one bit
>says anything about undeleting Trashed files.

FWIW, a user in my local computer group trashed a bunch of files by
mistake and he desperately needed to get them back.  Several folks
recommended that he not do anything else with his computer until after he
tried to undelete the files, and that he try DataRescue.

DataRescue didn't help.  At first it seemed as if he was able to get a
bunch of his files back, but they were all fragments and unuseable.

Apparently under OS X either trashed files are overwritten a lot sooner
than they were under OS 9, or, once files are trashed, there isn't enough
information left on the drive to accurately recover them without a
third-party undelete utility already installed.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html